Presell like a pro
The most important thing you can do to increase your affiliate commissions is to presell properly.
Before we begin, we need to first define what preselling is. There are two components to it - art & science. It's a process of taking your reader and getting them ready to buy. Then you send them to the site that sells what you've prepared them for. When done correctly, your reader will not even notice.
In a nutshell, you provide value. And give them a link to the product you're preselling. In a second we'll talk about how to do actually it. Before we get into that, you should understand what's in it for you. Just a few of the reasons you want to presell.
- It builds trust - And gaining the trust of your readers helps them want to click your links. Which obviously means you'll make more sales.
- It disarms your reader - When you're not hyping or pitching a product, your reader lets their guard down. This means they are more open to what you're saying. And your intention is conveyed more easily.
- It creates buying readiness - Now they trust you and feel open to your message. And in turn, they're open to other messages, as well. Like the info on product sales page you've linked to. And being open to the information there means they are much more likely to buy.
- It increases your sales - Now your reader arrives at the sales page in a buying mood. Open to the sales message and feeling safe. The only possible result is more sales!
- It boosts customer loyalty - Your referral now feels like they decided to buy. Instead of feeling pressured or "sold". So they are happier with their purchase.
- Preselling increases your bottom line - A satisfied customer doesn't ask for a refund. Less refunds means more affiliate money stays in your pocket.
The need to presell is clear. You make more money. Your customers are happier. Everybody wins!
Now, here's how preselling works:
You've learned the importance of preselling. And I hope you're resolved to being preselling, too. So, let's talk about how to make it work. Remember, there are two components - art and science.
Part 1 - The art of it
Effective preselling requires gaining your readers trust in order for them to let down their guard. Honestly, the only way to do this is to provide real value in you content. The art of this is to provide enough information to be of value, but not enough to satiate the hunger. So you send them to the product website with a hunger for more of what the product provides. And because you've gained trust, they’re more receptive to the sales message and more likely to buy.
There are also several key elements that need to be included.
One of these key elements is the presentation of the information. You have to have your end in mind. Your end goal is to make a sale of the product you're preselling. How can providing information accomplish this goal? First, you can provide useful but incomplete information. Or you can give them so much information that it feels overwhelming to do what you're talking about. In either case, the product you're referring them to solves the problem for them.
But you can't link to your affiliate link. You have directly to the home page of the product. This increases your clicks. But how will you earn affiliate commissions if you don't use your affiliate link? This is all part of the science of preselling. You "pre-cookie" your reader before sending them to the sales page.
The next trick is to hyperlink specific words and phrases inside the content of the article you’re providing. People are used to clicking on hyperlinked words to get information they’re looking for. Plus, if you link on relevant words, it only makes sense to click on there.
Using this system, you're virtually guaranteed to increase your affiliate business success.
OK, here's the not-so-good news:
It's extremely difficult to do this correctly. Think about everything that goes into crafting an effective preselling article: Good content. The entire process depends on your being able to provide useful information to your readers. To do that you have to have enough information to be valuable and be able to present it in a useful way. Writing to presell. First, you have to give good information. But, you also need to know how to present the information in a way that give value to the reader. And still leave them wanting more. Or make the information so overwhelming they realize they can't do it on their own.
Product selection. After that you have to figure out which products you want to promote. Even if you can pull off writing and great article. All your efforts are wasted if you send your reader to the wrong sales letter.
Technical skills. To be most effective you have to use the "covert cookie" method. This is pretty easy – you just make a 1 pixel X 1 pixel image with no border and make the “source” of the image your affiliate link. (But if you do it wrong, you won’t get paid for the traffic you send.)
Wrapping it up:
Now you’re armed with the information needed to effectively presell. Preselling properly will boost your affiliate profits up to 500%! It’s absolutely critical to do this every time – and to do it correctly. Please don’t be lazy. The effort it takes is well worth the benefits...